Thursday, January 24, 2013

Reflections of a Man Almost Completing His Boyhood Dream

"I want you to go to college and make something out of yourself", says my loving and supportive mother of 25 years, time and time again. God bless her and her continual support of me over the years.

The hardest undertaking of my life is almost complete. The end of the tunnel is near, and I can see light!  Ever since Autumn of 2006, I have been a full-time college student. It's quite embarrassing at times to admit I've been a college student for nearly 7 years (a certain Tommy Boy quote comes to mind along these lines, but I won't bother you with Farleyisms). During college, I have experienced some life changing events:
  • I came to true faith in Jesus Christ on December 29, 2007 at the CRU Radiate conference in the nation's capital (the most important event that will ever happen to me, with my birth in second, hehe). I also got to witness my mother come to faith as well with God using me to share the Gospel with her. Thank you God and hopefully my dad is next in line.
  • I have went through three girlfriends. One of them I am still with and I can honestly say this very beautiful woman never ceases to put a smile on my face.
  • I lost my grandfather Paul Eugene Dutton in the Spring of 2007, a man that I looked up to my whole life. It was, and still is, the hardest death of a loved one I have ever had to deal with. I miss him tons and I know I will see him again in heaven.  R.I.P.
  • I completed a life long dream of mine by going on stage and having a crowd cheer for me (1,000 college students to be exact). I gave dating advice at a Christian conference and became known as the "ladies man". This was the first and only time in my life that I ever had that much attention from women, lol. This made the list because it was so unexpected to happen, haha.
  • I had to make the hard decision of moving back home from 3 1/2 years of living in Morgantown attending WVU. I thought it was the wrong decision at first but, seeing where I am in life right now, it was part of God's plan. I have learned so much about myself since moving  home and have matured so much. I have also met some wonderful people (including my current girlfriend) since coming back to the Mid-Ohio Valley and I love each and every single one of you and thank you for the impact you have made and still make in my life.
  • I had the opportunity to work with an organization called Campus Crusade for Christ and I have met some of the greatest people ever through that organization, be it through WVU Cru, Summer Projects and the many conferences I have attended. I love and miss every single one of you and thank you for being a friend to me. 
  • I discovered many of my interests that I still have. They include: ministry, music, video games, journalism, business (never thought that would be one), photography, studying theology and philosophy (to an extent).
  • I have witnessed what a horrible disease is capable of doing...to someone very close to me. My mom did a battle with throat cancer beginning in the early part of 2011. I witnessed the very woman I have admired since being a little boy fall victim to a disease I once joked about but truly hate now.......but she came out VICTORIOUS!!! Through prayer, support, awesome doctors and a POWERFUL God, mom conquered it and is doing better than ever. She is a woman most men (or mature men) dream of being with.Through this experience, me, my mother and father (step dad but he pretty much is my father) have never been closer. I love my family to pieces and I am very happy with where we are at.
It's been a long and hard journey filled with many victories, upsets and challenges but it is almost complete and I will officially be the first person in my immediate family to have a college degree. I thank everyone for all their support of me over the years and please pray that I can complete this dream. Praise be to God and all the support I have gotten and, to finish, LET'S DO THIS!



No comments:

Post a Comment